- I can’t believe I forgot that appointment!
- My profit was XXXX this month but it should’ve been XXXXX.
- Ack, I just blew that deal.
- I’ve been in business X years and I’m still not making enough money.
- I can’t afford to pay that bill.
- I can’t afford to hire someone.
- Why am I procrastinating?!
- That person didn’t buy; I must’ve done something wrong.
- I’m late … again.
- I’m always overwhelmed.
Run A Guilt-Free Business
There is a dark side to every positive personality trait. You may not even notice that you’ve gone out of balance with a value, even when it’s causing great pain in your life. I have high standards of integrity, especially when it comes to business. In the past, if I witnessed someone being dishonest or not delivering on a promise, my blood pressure would rise and I stewed over it for days. Often I’d tell them what I thought of their sketchy behavior. Am I being a good leader? Maybe. Is that healthy? Definitely not. I created my own emotional suffering by shifting a good value into overdrive. I don’t know if you know this, but owning a business will reveal all of your weaknesses and trigger intense emotions. One of the emotions I see most is guilt or shame. It shows up in thoughts like …